Having uninterrupted electricity in the home is something we've all become so used to, if it shuts off for any length of time, it can totally disrupt our lives. For some people with health problems etc, it could be a serious matter if there is not power. Is it a wise decision then, to buy a portable generator?
There are a good many advantages to having a portable generator. When your power goes out, you can simply switch to the generator.
Some of the benefits to purchasing one are:
They are small enough transport, making them an ideal option for someone who enjoys camping or going to remote locations etc.
You do not usually need a special permit to own and operate one, an there is no type of difficult installation.
A typical generator will run on gasoline.
As with all types of equipment though, there are some things to consider if you decide to buy a portable generator.
If your power is out, it could be very tempting to overload it. This will be prevent it from functioning as it should, and even more important it could cause a fire.
Portable generators are not meant for appliances hard wired for your home. There design is for corded appliances.
Portable generators produce carbon monoxide, which we all know to be lethal, with this in mind, never have one running in the house.
There is a risk of electric shock if water gets onto it while it is running.
As we all know, gasoline is a very flammable liquid, to avoid possible fire, be very careful to not spill any on a hot generator.
In summary, a portable generator is a very beneficial thing to have as long as it is operated with much care.
Lightning can be a very dangerous natural element. It has the potential to affect anyone. While the main danger is when we are outside in a lightning storm, a big danger still exists even when we are in our homes.
What are some dangers to be aware of?
One of the more apparent and obvious dangers from a lightning strike at home is a house fire. As we are aware, the damage this can cause is sizable. Have you thought, though about the other problems that come when a house fire is extinguished? Water damage is also a concern, and if the house is not properly dried out, mold can become a big issue.
Electrocution can present another big danger so its best to avoid doing anything that brings you in contact with running water, such as washing dishes or showering.
A surge protector is good for protecting your electronics, but its not wise to think that this is totally lightning proof. Its wise to turn off or unplug devices like computers and phones that could be damaged with a lightning strike, so that there is no risk.
If you can, make sure to keep away from windows and open doors, even if the storm is fun to watch.
Lightning rods and other types of protection systems are available if you feel you need to do something more to keep safe. Make sure to do your research though before investing in one, and remember to put safety first in a lightning storm.
Dave Graham, Tempest Home Inspection. Calgary Alberta